Final report of the 15th Lyon Biennale
SUCCESSFULLY SHIFTS UP A GEAR
Where Water Comes Together With Other Water the 15th Lyon Contemporary Art Biennale, closed its doors on Sunday 5 January 2020.
This edition had several new features: a new artistic director, a curatorial team attentive to work being made now, a new outsized venue, innovative exhibition design, artists from every continent, a majority of exhibits created specially for the event, and an emphasis on collaborating with the local business community. This edition also more widely embraced the Lyon, metropolitan and regional territories with the Veduta platform, Associated Exhibitions, and Resonance events.
This edition of the Lyon Contemporary Art Biennale made its mark as a must-see event on the international art scene and an emotion-packed moment for all kinds of people!
A PUBLIC SUCCESS
• Over 273 800 visitors (International Exhibition, Young Creation, Veduta and Associated Exhibitions, except Resonance events)
• Of which 40% aged under 26
• Over 1 000 journalists from France and worldwide
• Over 6 500 professionals from around the world
A BIG SOCIAL-MEDIA FOLLOWING
• Over 104 000 subscribers
• Over 10 000 Instagram mentions #biennaledelyon
A NEW VENUE: THE FAGOR FACTORY
• 29,000 sq m devoted to contemporary art
• 56 artists from all continents, over 25% from the French scene
• Over 240 works on display
• 95% of exhibits made specially for the event
• 78 regional companies involved in producing the event
• 28 international institutional partners.
A GREATER REGION-WIDE PRESENCE
• Over 41 900 visitors and participants in the Veduta programme in 15:
Bron; Centre de Rééducation Fonctionnelle in Bourgoin-Jallieu, Centre Social Bonnefoi in Lyon 3, CCO la Rayonne in Villeurbanne, Chassieu, Francheville, Givors, Grand Parc Miribel Jonage, Lyon (7 and 8), Meyzieu, Rillieux-la-Pape, Saint-Genis-Laval, Saint-Priest, Service Culturel de l’Université Lumière Lyon 2 in Bron.
• 41 350 visitors for the eight associated exhibitions in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region (Annemasse , Éveux, Lyon 1er, Lyon 2e, Thiers, Vienne, Villeurbanne).
• Over 270 Résonance events in 57 towns in the Auvergne Rhône-Alpes region and beyond.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT THE 19TH DANCE BIENNALE FROM 11 SEPTEMBER TO 2 OCTOBER 2020.
Daria de Beauvais, Adélaïde Blanc, Yoann Gourmel, Matthieu Lelièvre, Vittoria Matarrese, Claire Moulène, Hugo Vitrani : l’équipe curatoriale du Palais de Tokyo
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR :